A large part of our WDH clinic mission is to be eco-conscious and the use of an electronic paperless patient management system greatly reduces our carbon footprint by saving trees, water, and energy. Here are a few of the many benefits of our paperless office for our patients and dental team members:
All computerized patient information is secured and locked when not in use. Our computer system is backed up in multiple ways and all information is securely stored as required by HIPPA and liability insurance.
A paperless system streamlines workflow and communication among all aspects of a patient’s visit. With the use of laptops, information can be immediately reviewed, updated, and signed allowing continuity of care. The efficiency of an electronic patient record allows more time for individualized holistic care through relationship building, patient discussion, education, and treatment plan presentation.
70% of our patients find us online. We do not promote our business through paper sources (paper publications, direct mail marketing, etc.). The WDH website provides an incredible amount of information and education eliminating the need for paper “hand-outs.”
95% of our patient and health care provider correspondence is via email or web-based telephone. If paper is required, we choose recycled paper products. We mindfully choose to use vendors who have minimal packaging, eco-friendly products and carbon offsets whenever possible.
The reduction of paper clutter keeps the Qi free flowing!
At WDH, acknowledging and reducing our use of paper preserves not only trees but ecosystems for all living beings as well.
12 MORE REASONS TO LOVE OUR ECOFRIENDLY DENTAL PRACTICE
- We do not place dental amalgam fillings and utilize a mercury amalgam separator. This reduces our toxic mercury contribution to the local wastewater treatment facilities. It also decreases the amount of neurotoxins our patients are exposed to.
- We have digital X-rays. This eliminates our contribution of pollution (chemical fixers and lead foils) into our sewer systems. Digital X-rays use up to 90% less radiation than conventional X-ray films, minimizing our patient radiation exposure.
- We use an electronic patient record. This eliminates an enormous amount of paper. If paper is needed, we choose recycled paper products.
- We use a dry dental vacuum system which reduces our use of water by 360 gallons per day or 57,000 gallon of water per year.
- We use steam sterilization which replaces chemical based and toxic cold sterilization. We also use eco-friendly disinfectants which maintain a hospital grade environment in our dental office while protecting the health and safety of our staff, our patients, and our neighborhoods.
- We use reusable equipment and products wherever possible reducing our contribution to the local landfill.
- We choose cloth lab coats and headrest covers. We do not use disposable barrier systems. If a disposable is needed, we choose something that is recycled.
- Our office design incorporates low VOC paint, recycled content flooring, reclaimed natural wood, low VOC floor sealer, all LED lighting and recycled building products.
- We have utilized DIRTT as a major component in our clinic design. DIRTT is a demountable partition system that can be re-configured and reused, eliminating more building materials ending up in the landfill.
- We have installed all Energy Star appliances in our office including a tankless on-demand water heater which saves energy, reduces consumption and reduce our carbon footprint.
- We recycle cardboard, paper, glass, aluminum cans and plastic in our office.
- We give our patients Preserve toothbrushes which are made out of recycled post-consumer yogurt cups AND we offer a recycling program for toothbrushes.